Quick Site Links
The Project - San Diego Visual Arts Network:
San Diego Visual Arts Network ( SDVAN) is a database of information produced to improve the clarity, accuracy and sophistication of discourse about San Diego's artistic and cultural life and is dedicated to the idea that the Visual arts are a vital part of the health of our city. SDVAN provides a resource-rich website and facilitates countless opportunities for inspiration and collaboration on visual arts projects.
We believe in the transformational quality of the arts and its ability to wider our vision of the world around us. We hope to not only build the confidence of those involved in the arts, but disseminate information throughout San Diego thus raising the bar on the writing, production and appreciation of the visual arts in our region. This is the only site designed exclusively for Visual Arts in the San Diego region. SDVAN is a 100% volunteer non-profit organization, where all services are free and financed by donations from people like you who believe in our mission.
Currently the site includes a feature to encourage new buyers of art, SmART Collector; a gossip column RAW; top picks of the month Picked RAW including Branching Out with new listings on the site, report on those events chosen in Picke RAW Peeled, a editorial A+ Art Blog; and a monthly message of updates about the site. SDVAN is the sponsor for the San Diego Art Prize and the New Contemporaries and supports exhibitions which encourage local talent such as Little & Large and Movers & Shakers and Art Meets Fashoin and DNA of Creativty. . We connect artists to patrons in our Eat Your Art Out fundraisers.
SDVAN currently receives over one million hits a year and has 4-5000 unique visitors a month. We list over 1700 visual arts resources including artists in the SD region.*
The directory categories include:
Public Exhibition Spaces
Services and Suppliers
Art Management and Promotion
Founding membersSandra Chanis (Oceanside Museum of Art)
Daniel Foster (Riverside Museum of Art, formerly SDAI)
Patricia Frischer (COVA, OMA AA)
Elfred Lee (SD Artist Guild and Portrait Society)
Jane LaFazio (San Diego Watercolor Society)
Ann Berchtold (SanDiegoArtist.com)
Steven Churchill (La Jolla Art Association)
For a list of Current members and past members please see our volunteer page. We have over 120 committee members who work project by project. Our committee is continually expanding. If you would like to participate in the development of SDVAN, please e-mail Patricia Frischer at firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe that the Visual Arts Network will:1. Recognize and celebrate the existing accomplishments by ordering and identifying the visual arts.
2. Facilitate cross-pollination between the cultural organizations to strengthen and invigorate the art scene.
3. Bring the visual arts to a new audience - children and adult, business and family, state, country and world
4. Promote a vision of the future of the role the visual arts can play in the San Diego community - lively, thriving, positive and empowered.
5. Create an infrastructure of spokespeople who have access to regularly collected information about visual arts organizations, activities and providers including a data bank for future analysis.
The SD Visual Arts Network to be used by:
1. The artist who would use it to get more information and services, who want others in the community to be directed to an organization to which they are members.