On Going Visual Art Events in San Diego
San Diego is now taking its rightful place amongst other Southern California centers for the visual arts. Proof of that rests in the increasing number of reoccurring weekly, monthly, and even annual visual arts events that continue to emerge in various venues all across the county. Whether you are looking for an original piece of art for your home or just something to do on a Thursday night, chances are the opportunity to fulfill your wish is just down the street!
The SmART Collector and the San Diego Visual Arts Network are thrilled to offer the following, continually updated, list of reoccurring visual arts events in San Diego for our readers’ convenience. Some of the events change dates so it is always best to contact them directly so as not to be disappointed. Many of these events are free, so make it a point to check out as many as you can!
Annual Juried Shows
Ongoing Juried Shows
Reoccurring Weekly Visual Art Events :
Reoccurring Monthly Art Events:
- ArtBlock on Adams 1st Saturday, 3500 Block of Adams Avenue between Wilson and 35th St.)
- Art Connection 2nd Saturday Escondido Art Walk - Second Saturday of the month including Function Art Gallery 262 – Free!
- Ray at Night in North Park - 2nd Saturday of every month from 6 to 11 pm – Free!
- Newport Nights Art/Music Walk, Oceanbeach, 4th Saturday of each month, 7 to 10 pm but check website for confirmation
- Second Saturady Leucadia -
Santos Fine Art Gallery, Enjoy mom & pop businesses in the funky little neighborhood of North Leucadia on the historic 101 coast highway.*Attractions: Isaias Crow mural, Surfing Madonna mosaic, Revolution Coffee Roasters, Santos art exhibit, Leucadia Sushi Bar, Le Papagayo restaurant and more.
- Vista Outdoor Art show - 2nd Sunday of the month from 10 to 5 – Free!
- Spark in the Park - 4nd Sunday in Carlsbad at McGee Park
- Sunday's Art in the Alley, Oceanside JC Gallery last Sunday of the month through Sept
- Free Museum entries: First Sunday of the Month: Museum of Contemporary Art, La Jolla and Downtown
- Sushi Cinema Lounge - Basic,, 410 Tenth Ave,, last Tuesday of the month
- Free Museum entries at the Balboa Museums: Second Tuusday of the Month: Museum of Photographic Art , Museum of San Diego History
Third Tuesday of the Month: San Diego Mueum Art, Mingei Folk Art Museum, Museum of Man
- Hillcresst Art Walk and More Super - Hillcrest, third Wednesday of May, June, July, August, September, October from 6 -10 pm
- Lux at Night - third Wednesday of the month
- Sight & Sound - variable venues last Thursday of the month
- Cedros Design District - first Thursday every other month ie Feb, April etc.
- Children’s Museum/ Museo de los Niños San Diego. - Campaign Cocktails, 3rd Thursday at Laurel and Chive Restaurants
- Pop Thursdays at MOPA - four 3rd Thursdays a year combine film with a party
- Thursdays on the Coast - Carlsbad (formerly ArtSurf) - the fourth Thursday of the month March to October
- TNT at MCASD - first Thursday for Thursday Night Thing
- The Bronowski Art&Science Forum at The Burnham Institute for Medical Research Auditorium - first Thursday of the month
- El Cajon First Friday at Arts Alley - art recptions and special restaurant/ business community offers. Check for visual arts content each month on 1st Friday
- La Jolla First Friday -Selection of La Jolla sales art galleries
- Kettner NIghts, 2nd Fridays
- Destination Kessington until 8:30 PM every second Friday, bi- monthly starting in July
- Second Friday Artist Sketch Jam Studio 2nd Street, 528 2nd Street, Encinitas
- Brokers Building - 402 Market St.4th Friday of the month the gallery and studios are open to the public
Misc. Day/ Nights
- Arts on the Plaza – La Costa Resort and Spa in La Costa
- Culture and Cocktails - San Diego Museum of Art
- South Park Walk About -.Held quarterly (Jan, Apr,Jul,Oct,)
- Evening in East Village - TBD
- Art After Dark - Oceanside Musuem of Art quarterly (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct)
Reoccurring Yearly Art Events:
Ongoing Juried Exhibitions:
If your event is not here or you know about a reoccurring event that is not listed, let us know by forwarding the information to patricia@SDVisualArts.net
Here is a list of other festivals in San Diego that are slightly art related:
BUSKER FESTIVAL www.seaportvillage.com
COMIC CON - International www.comic-con.org
PRIDE Festival www.sdpride.org
San Diego Storytelling Festival www.storytellersofsandiego.org
SOCAL Music Festival www.socalfestival.com
The Student Shakespeare Festival www.sandiegoshakespearesociety.org/festival
Nations of San Diego International Dance Festival www.nationsdancefestival.com
Look for other topics in the SmART Collector
For more information contact info@SDVisualArts.net